Tuesday, January 26, 2010

China's various art's form

Posted ImagePosted Image

"夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. -
Zhugeliang

I must admit I'm a little obsessed with Bada's art and, luckily, I've found another person who was just as crazy about his work. That person was Prof. Wang Fangyu (born 1913, Beijin, died 1997, New York City) whom I met about ten years ago while I was still at university. Prof. Wang was a lecturer at Yale University and his field of study was the work of Bada Sharen and other late Ming-early Qing painters. In his spare time, Prof. Wang also practiced calligraphy--and what amazing calligraphy!


Posted Image
Wang Fangyu, Untitled, 1989, calligraphy; courtesy E.J. Frankel Gallery


Posted Image
Wang Fangyu -- work in progress [undated photograph, courtesy Elizabeth Wang Gallery]


Posted Image
Wang Fangyu, Buddha, undated, calligraphy, courtesy Elizabeth Wang Gallery


It's been almost eight years since Prof. Wang passed away; and I still remember our discussions in the humble New York City apartment he shared with his wife Sum Wai. I guess I was just lucky to be so obsessed with Bada Shanren, and luckier still to have met another kindred soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment